Ignition switch won't turn all the way off
James Goforth
2011-10-17 16:30:08 UTC
Another issue with the 2000 Jimmy is that the igniton switch won't
turn all the way off so I can get the key out.
When you're done driving it and go to shut it off, the ignition switch
will only go to the first notch back, which will kill the engine but the
odometer and battery icon will remain lit.
The key of course won't come out of the ignition in that position, but
won't turn any farther to get to the lock position to remove it.
It doesnt matter what you do with the shifter (floor console shift),
nor if you rotate the steering wheel, or tilt the wheel up or down.
It does this with both keys.
The only way I can get the ignition switch to shut all the way off and
remove the key, is to keep turning it back on, then off, a whole bunch
of times...
Then, one of those times, it will simply shut off exactly like it's
supposed to.
Then, if I were to turn it right back on, I would likely have to
perform the same ritual again. But, sometimes, it simply shuts off
exactly like it's supposed to.
If it weren't for the odometer and battery icon remaining energized
(and whatever else), I wouldn't even care that much about not being able
to get the key out. However I suppose it would drain the battery after
awhile, I don't know how long, depends on what all is energized.
Plus it's probably not good for it to keep cycling the key, and
turning everything on and off a bunch of times in rapid succession all
the time.
Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?
Miller
2011-10-17 17:05:19 UTC
Post by James Goforth
[...]
Yes, on a 1997. I replaced the switch, there are two wires which
operate a small magnetic solenoid to allow removal of the key. If
those are not connected you can't get the key out.. I learned this
after it was all back together :-) with the two wires not connected.

http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/GM_truck_bad_ign.html

Procedure on the 2000. The steering wheel should not have to come off,
but you do have to remove both covers on the column. Disabling the air
bag is not a bad idea either. Google for that procedure.

You will need some reverse-torx bits. I bought a cheap set of reverse,
normal, and security torx for about $15 at Harbor Freight.

My 97 got to where it would simply shut off while driving - sometimes
exciting. Replacement of the switch solved it.
Steve W.
2011-10-18 00:25:51 UTC
Post by Miller
Post by James Goforth
[...]
As a temporary measure you can use a pen to stick up through the access
hole in the lower trim section of the column. You will find a small
cover that comes out and directly above it is the back side of that
solenoid. Stick a pen in there and the switch will turn all the way
back. The design is intended to prevent you from locking the column if
you turned the key off while moving.
If you are smart enough to keep from doing that you can just remove the
solenoid and just tape the connector so it cannot short. I did this on
the 97 and the 02 we have.
Steve W.
James Goforth
2011-10-18 03:12:58 UTC
Steve W wrote, "As a temporary measure you can use a pen to stick up

******************************

Thanks for the reply Steve. I will check that out.
Steve W.
2011-10-18 16:25:15 UTC
Post by James Goforth
Steve W wrote, "As a temporary measure you can use a pen to stick up
through the access hole in the lower trim section of the column. You
will find a small cover that comes out and directly above it is the back
side of that solenoid. Stick a pen in there and the switch will turn all
the way back. The design is intended to prevent you from locking the
column if you turned the key off while moving.
If you are smart enough to keep from doing that you can just remove the
solenoid and just tape the connector so it cannot short. I did this on
the 97 and the 02 we have. "
******************************
Thanks for the reply Steve. I will check that out.
The solenoid is held in place with a couple screws. You don't have to
remove the wheel just the trim. You have to pay attention to the way it
comes off. There are two small tabs in the back that fit into clips. You
have to pull the cover toward the wheel to get them to release.

There are screws that retain the lower cover, plus a couple that go
through the mechanicals that hold the top cover. Remove the screws,
remove the cover, remove the solenoid and toss it. Tape the connector up
and stick it out of the way. Then replace the cover.
Steve W.
James Goforth
2011-10-18 00:51:08 UTC
Miller wrote: "Yes, on a 1997. I replaced the switch, there are two
wires which operate a small magnetic solenoid to allow removal of the
key. If those are not connected you can't get the key out.. I learned
this after it was all back together :-) with the two wires not
connected.
http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/GM_truck_bad_ign.html

Procedure on the 2000. The steering wheel should not have to come off,
but you do have to remove both covers on the column. Disabling the air
bag is not a bad idea either. Google for that procedure.

*******************************

Interesting, thanks for the response.
Am I correct in presuming the solenoid is integral with the ign switch,
and enables it to go all the way to the off position, thus allowing the
key to be removed?
Or is the solenoid seperate and can be replaced by itself?
(Because the switch itself otherwise performs normally -- no problems
starting, running, etc).
b***@gmail.com
2015-09-18 16:49:06 UTC
I can't believe I finally found someone who was having the same issue that I'm experiencing with my '97 Blazer. I've been to multiple mechanics who have no idea how to fix this problem. Hopefully, all of this great info will help. Thank you!
d***@gmail.com
2016-08-05 17:54:40 UTC
Anyone having this problem: remove the shift knob so you see just the lever and button and try to fully turn the car off and take the key out again. If you have no luck, it must be the btsi solenoid, tumbler, or something else.
m***@yahoo.com
2017-02-20 20:28:53 UTC
Take a little needle tool and push the inside metal plate (that is next to the key) in, and the key will then turn to OFF. Your key is probably too short.
m***@mycomputer.none
2017-03-04 06:17:31 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Take a little needle tool and push the inside metal plate (that is next to the key)
in, and the key will then turn to OFF. Your key is probably too short.
THere is no mention of the type of vehicle or age.

If it's older, the IGN switch and key are probably worn.
Go to a dealer and have them make you a new key from your VIN number.
Then spray some graphite lube in there.
If that dont fix it, you need to replace the lock cylinder.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-25 15:08:24 UTC
Probably too late now... But mine does this. It's a 97. I just smack it real hard with my strong hand and it lets me turn it back... lol Works about 95% of the time.